Such a joyful thing to be doing with this wonderful spring weather. Soooo good to get my sewing machine out, I've been wanting to for six months. My friend made bunting for her daughter's (my Goddaughter) birthday a couple of years ago and it looked amazing - I've been wanting to try it ever since. With a garden party planned at work it seemed like the perfect time. I ran a mini-tutorial on Twitter, which I will share here and expand the notes later on for clarity.
I knew roughly what I wanted, but I was trying to decide how to finish the edges and what sort of spacing I wanted between my flags. I came, I googled, I found: Nasty Wench, Laura Ashley and for kids. None was quite what I wanted, but it clarified what I DID want, so I began.
I gathered 1-2 metres of 5 different fabrics. You won't need this much unless you are aiming for the 20 metres that I was. I got 20 finished pennants out of roughly a metre of fabric. I also bought a a fresh spool of thread and a full roll (20m) of 25mm bias tape. You could certainly make your own, and it would be lovely, but I wasn't making 20m of bias binding. This was a one day job.